Scottsdale Combine is committed to promoting the health & wellness of teens. The Teen Lift-a-thon/Strength Challenge showcases our valley teens while raising money for “Lift for the 22”. This nonprofit organization partners gyms with U.S. veterans in efforts to fight the 22 veterans committing suicide every day.
About the Strength Challenge
Teens will participate in five fitness events. Top athletes will be selected to compete in a sixth and final event. Events include:
- Bench Press (fundraiser event) → link this to About Lift-a-thon Fundraiser section
- Sled Push
- Bodyweight Hang
- Kettlebell Carry
- BONUS: Flipper Challenge
Athletes will compete in one of four classes based on high school class year.
- Incoming Freshman
- Incoming Sophomores
- Incoming Juniors
- Incoming and Outgoing Seniors
Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at the completion of all events during the same evening.
- Must be 13 to 18 years old at time of the event
- Complete a parental consent / waiver
- Register online no later than 11:59pm on May 18th, 2018
About the Lift-a-thon Fundraiser
The Bench Press event is the fundraiser portion of the Lift-a-thon. Once registered, teens are encouraged to acquire sponsors who will donate money for every bench press repetition.
Bench Press Event Details
The weight lifted is based upon the athletes bodyweight and age. The following is how we determine the weight performed:
Ages: 15 and under- 60% of bodyweight
Ages: 16-17- 80% of body weight
Ages: 18 and over- 100% of body weight
This bench press test is for as many repetitions as you can without breaking proper form.
This will be the only fundraiser event of the night. Friends and family can pledge an amount per repetition performed or a flat rate donation.
Showcase Event Descriptions
- Bodyweight hang– Hang bodyweight from pull up bar with two hands. Each athlete will receive 1 point every 10 seconds they hang on until they drop to the ground. For example: If little Johnny hangs on for 69 seconds, he will receive 6 points.
- The Wall sit– Sit against the wall with their backs in an upright position. The legs will be bent creating a 90 degree angle from the knee joint. Shoulders must stay against the wall and their hand must not touch any part of the legs. Each athlete will receive 1 point every 10 seconds they hang on until they drop to the ground. For example: If little Johnny hangs on for 69 seconds, he will receive 6 points.
- The Kettlebell carry– Carry a pair of kettlebells around cones 15 yards away in a loop formation. You must hold onto both kettlebells while looping around cones. Each athlete will receive 1 point for every 5 yards they carry the kettlebells. (Both feet must cross yard lines to receive previous additional points. Example: If little Johnny carry”s kettlebells 52 yards, he will receive 10 points).
- Sled Push- It is the athletes choice of 4 different weighted sleds to choose only 1 sled to push for distance. The heavier the sled, the more accumulated points. For example:
250 pound sled= 1 point per yard 750 pounds= 3 points per yard
500 pound sled= 2 points per yard 1,000 pounds= 4 points per yard
* You must choose only one sled. (There will be no trials!)
* 15 yards will be the most any sled can be pushed.
- The Flipper- Only the top 10 incoming and outgoing seniors with the most points throughout the competition will perform this event. Flip the 240 pound flipper 20 times. The fastest time will receive 10 points. Example:
1st place = 10 points 4th =7 pts. 7th = 4 pts 10th = 1 pt.
2nd place = 9 points 5th = 6 pts. 8th = 3 pts.
3rd place = 8 points 6th = 5 pts 9th = 2 pts.
Max capacity for this event is 100 athletes. We are currently expected to have a full event so please make sure you sign up today so you don’t miss out in participating.
Please be sure to hydrate prior to event and bring water with you. Regular running shoes are required and registration form must be filed out on or before the deadline of the event and a waiver must be signed by guardian.
Follow the steps below to register:
Step 2: Fill out the Registration Form
Step 3: Upload the Permission/Waiver (If not able to upload bring the Signed Form with you, it Must Be Turned in to Participate)
Step 4: Click Submit